Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Update on the Fiber Front

I've been busy. Yesterday I was determined to complete the lace scarf I had started using shetland handspun yarn. I got the last design charted only to discover after starting to knit that I hadn't enough yarn. I did have a bit of grey shetland roving so I started to spin. I finished a small skein of yarn before the fireworks started last night; I guess I'm picking up a bit of speed as that's the fastest I've gone from roving to finished product ever! Of course I couldn't knit as the yarn was still drying after setting the twist...so what did I do? Why, I started another project!

This lovely Noro yarn has been calling out to me from a corner of my bedroom and saying it wanted to become a Bugga Bag. OK, I started to make the transition. And I restarted the Unbiased recycled purse from Knitty.com for good measure. This time I hope the directions are error free as my last nearly finished attempt at Unbiased had me swearing and ripping. I guess these projects seemed so quick to finish that they hardly count. Now if I could finish my pi shawl that quickly, I'd be jumping for joy. That's currently on hiatus.

Strangely enough, the counter on my antique yarn winder has started working again. I assume the humidity has made the wood swell just enough for the gear to catch the cog. I was surprised as I wound on to hear that powerful snap again. I thought I had broken it. I wonder if there's a way to keep the wood hydrated all year long.

And my last thrill of the evening is that I found an ad in the local paper for a local spinning guild that meets in my little town on Thursday mornings. I'm very excited to think I might break away this week and spin with some experienced folks. What fun!

2 comments:

Dale's Gmail said...

Hi Holly, your blog is excellent. As I was surfing around today looking for detailed info on wood working project plan I somehow ended up on your page. As your Update on the Fiber Front is not exactly related to my search, I am certainly glad I stopped by. Oh well, back to surfing and I am sure I will find what I am looking for, and should you ever need information about wood working project plan, then stop by for a look. Thanks for the post.

Dale's Gmail said...

Hi Holly...Wow! While I was searching for info on free wood working furniture plan I somehow found your page. Obviously I ended up a little off base, but I am certainly glad I stopped by for a read. While I am here, I just wanted to drop a quick note to comment your blog...now to move on and continue my search for free wood working furniture plan. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about free wood working furniture plan.