Sunday, July 03, 2005

The baby went to camp

How does this happen? The maturity of your children seems to grow only with startling leaps. One minute he is holding your hand as he crosses the street and planning to marry you when he grows up, the next he is telling you that you are embarrassing him in front of the counselor. And he's gone. Oh, I've been through this before and I know he'll be back, but we have our children with us for such a brief time. And even this youngest that started out as a 5 pound little bundle is taking his first strides toward independence. I'm grateful that he is reaching out eagerly to embrace it, even at the alarming age of 8. And let's enjoy the prospect of a week of dinners with no scatological humor!

On the fiber front, I swatched half the way to camp this afternoon only to find out the yarn was just too bulky for the pattern I was attempting. It's an ebay purchase, a melon colored wool and acrylic blend, apparently bulky in weight. So this evening I found the pattern I had originally intended for the yarn, a cardigan in Family Circle's Easy Sweaters. It will work up fast and the yarn was so incredibly inexpensive that I don't mind knitting it up to match my favorite sunflower t-shirt. Frivolous, you say? The defining adjective of fashion! The real reasonI started it? I needed a mindless knitting project for the summer meetings to come. Sanity is possible only with needles softly producing something lovely. I'm 8 1/2 inches up the back last count. Photos to follow when the new camera arrives.

No comments: