Friday, July 01, 2005

Strawberry Season in the North

This morning we started the day by picking 18 quarts of strawberries. And the smell of them has been following me around all day. There's a wonderful roadside stand that I pass every morning on the way to work. It's run by a young couple who have built a home and worked the surrounding sandy soil to produce the best fruits and vegetables in the area - all of this in just a few short years. I love to give them business and stop every chance I get. This morning it was u-pick strawberries.

There was a lovely breeze keeping away most bugs and the humidity hadn't joined us yet. The berries were small, but they still produced that thrill as you crawled around moving leaves and suddenly, there it was: a lovely clump of ruby red berries. And this thrill is chief in mind even after hulling 11 of those 18 quarts. Here's another reason to frequent this stand; we paid 12.00 for the 18 quarts. And with any purchase over 10.00, a handful of fresh basil was free. Yippee - pesto and strawberry shortcake for dinner. Yes, summer is finally here.

I did a great deal of plying on my Babe today and still have a lot to finish. That didn't stop me from carding another batch of the excellent Navajo-churro fleece from a sheep named CoCo I have and spinning that up. It's irresistable and I plan to ply 3 strands together when I finish this last bobbin. I haven't done that yet.

Still looking at digital cameras to replace my Mavica. (We're leaning toward a Kodak EasyShare. ) I'm anxious to post pictures here again.

No comments: