Saturday, November 13, 2004

Dying, washing and starting a new project

Well I stayed up late last night and finished dying my recent handspun. I tried the Dharma Trading directions for using Procion dyes as I already had some of these. I used fire red and tangerine, but got less than vibrant colors using their salt, vinegar in near boiling kettle technique. This could be attributed to the chlorine in my tapwater or to the fact that Procion just wasn't made for dying wool. Darn, I'll just have to spin up some more to experiment!

I set the twist on the 7 skeins of coffee swirl plyed yarn I spun. It's still damp or that would have been the new project I started! It softened up and feels great. Now to see if it twists in stockinette and to pick some projects for it accordingly.

I picked through half of my washed fleece - Merino-Corriedale X. There's much less still dirty than I thought. Of course that was the clean half, but it encouraged me to get carding. Which is good since I ordered a romney fleece last night from a farm in Michigan. It looks luscious and I can't wait to receive it. I'm hoping for less lanolin than I found in the fine cross I'm working on now.

And I couldn't resist - I started the recycled silk purse. I found the pattern in Knitty and just love the look of the yarn. I'm planning now to keep that for me as I don't know anyone else who would carry such a wild purse.

Today is catchup day for the rest of my world - making lasagna and bread for Sunday family dinner, finishing up first quarter averages, haircut and any spinning I can squeak in!

No comments: